Thursday, September 4, 2008

Review: Big Chief Burgers at Spur

Last night, (Wife) Mel and (Chef) Sam go to Theatre on the Bay to watch "A Handful of Keys". Not to let an opportunity like this slip away, Clive and I decide to frequent the local Spur Steak Ranch, with the kids in tow!

I must tell you: Clive works in the IT Dept at Spur Head Office. He gets to hear (and sometimes taste) new products, concepts, etc. before they are launched. Lucky bugger... I digress... Clive has been going on about the new range of Burgers that Spur has launched: Big Chief Burgers. He just went on and on about how good they are - clearly he got a sample BEFORE Monday's launch date!

We decided on the Utah Spur in Milnerton as it is close to home. Service was excellent last night, thanks to our waitress (Donna, I think) being attentive to our needs. I pretty much knew what I wanted: The Spicy Chorizo Burger. I love Chorizo...

BUT then I saw all the other burgers:

- Chilli Con Carne Burger...
- Cranberry, Bree and Chicken Burger...
- Bacon, Cheese and Guacamole Burger
- Chilli Chocolate Burger.

Whoever came up with these decadent combinations should be given a big fat bonus and a medal! I ended up having the Chorizo burger - what a taste sensation! Very different for Spur but I really think this is going to be a BIG hit!... a combination of the favour that you are used to from Spur and the new exciting flavours of Chocolate, Chorizo, Chilli Con Carne, Cranberry and Brie.

The people in the booth next to us ordered an assortment of these burgers: the Cranberry, Bree and Chicken Burgers stood out for me when their order arrived - WOW! It looked scrumptious... Next time, I'll try that one. From what I could see, everyone was really impressed with their food.

I mostly find that the marketing material for restaurants show amazingly lit, well put together food that catches your eye - you order it and when it arrives, you are disappointed because it looks nothing like the picture. These Big Chief Burgers are nothing like that! They are truly works of art... these things are so big, they use sosatie sticks to hold them together, instead of toothpicks!

I advise you to go to your local Spur and give these burgers a try! Go Hungry! Very Hungry!!!

1 comment:

Gary White said...

I am so going to go and get me 1 of those this weekend!