Friday, September 19, 2008

Mid-Week Dinner: Baked Bluenose & Chips

I drive past Fish 4 Africa in Monte Vista every day, on my way to fetch my daughter at aftercare. Yesterday, I decided we were having baked fish for dinner - I had an incling! Fish 4 Africa is surprisingly reasonable and they have a variety of fresh fish available all the time... And they give good advice. I told one of the guys that I was looking for a good fish to bake, in foil, in the oven. He immediately recommended the Bluenose. I bought a 2kg fish for R95 and they cleaned and filleted it for me, no extra charge!

Ingredients:
1kg Filleted Bluenose (I made 2kgs - leftovers go on sarmies with mayo!)
2t Olive Oil
2t Crushed Garlic
2 Lemons, finely sliced
Foil, enough to 'parcel' the fish
1/2 Onion, finely sliced
1t cider vinegar, per fillet
Sprinkling of Chilli & Garlic Spice (Ina Paarman)
Sprinkling of Thyme (Robertsons)
Sprinkling of Salt & Black Pepper
Preheat the Oven to 200 deg C.
Method:
1. Lay the foil in a baking tray.
2. Coat with Olive Oil
3. Put half the sliced onion and lemon on the foil.
4. Place the fish on top
5. Season with spices (Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Chilli & Thyme)
6. Sprinkle a teaspoon of cider vinegar on each fillet.
7. Layer the remaining Onion and Lemons on top of the fish.
8. Bring the foil over and seal into a parcel.
9. Place in the oven and cook for 30 to 35 min. (my 2kg fish took around 45min). Best to check after the 25 min mark. If the fish flakes, it is done. Do not overcook.

Serve with oven baked chips. Simple, Wholesome, Lekker!

I would pair this with a light to medium bodied Rieslingor, something with a dry finish...

No comments: