Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Reportback: Coronation Year End Function

On 29 November 2008, I attended my first Coronation Year End Function as a direct member of staff. I must say that it feels good to be included... The venue was the Vineyard Terrace at Constantia Uitsig (thank goodness for the GPS!). What a great venue. My wife and I pulled up, parked and were shuttled to the huge marquee tent - best described as a bedouin tent.

We were met with drinks, either alcoholic or non. Groups had gathered and were chatting, all very social... What a great atmosphere. Waitrons were circling with platters of mustard seared tuna, spring rolls with chilli dip and bree, tomato and olive tartlets while others cleared glasses, etc. All the waitrons were professional and well groomed.

There was a bar off to the bottom of the tent that proved to be quite the social gathering point, more for some than others (no names mentioned for fear of retribution - but you know who you are!). The evening kicked off with a speech by our CEO, Hugo Nelson. Hugo happens to look just like Lionel Richie so there were some photo opportunities for those who wanted pics with the star!

We then sat down for starters. The starter was smoked salmon salad on blini with rocket and sour cream dressing. For our table, we opened a bottle of Springfield Estate Sauvignon Blanc. This really complimented the salmon.

The main course was then brought out. This was a beef fillet topped with bordelaise sauce, potato disks and caramalized butternut & fresh asparagus. It was yummy! All compliments to the chef on this. It is really a task and a half cooking for around 120 people (my guess) - bringing the food out hot and all at once. One day, I may undertake something like this but I think, for now, I will leave this to the professionals! I accompanied my steak with a bottle of Neethlingshof Shiraz 2003.

Dessert followed the main course, as it normally does. This was a fresh plum and almond tart with armagnac & creme fraiche. I was not impressed with this at all. The only positive thing I can say is that the pastry was great (Sorry Chef!).

For the remainder of the evening, we boogied away to the sounds of the South African Hit Band Goldfish! My wife and I absolutely love their music.
My buddy Mark Chipps, the owner of Goosebump Productions filmed one of their promo video clips. Check out the video of Goldfish at Ignite in Camps Bay: Video. Great editing job on this one, Mark! Check Mark's slogan: "Envoking that privitive emotion-linked reflex of goosebumps through my video productions".
In a nutshell (Oi, I'm in a nutshell), the evening was a huge success. A BIG thank you to the Coronation Marketing Dept.
Keep them coming...

No comments: